Icons: The Series....

I love old movies, but then you probably know that.  My love of celluloid began young and has been constant throughout my life.  This is the beginning of a new series of posts I am going to try and do weekly (in between school work, house work and work, work, work!) in which I give my thoughts about who I consider to be movie icons, fashion icons, political icons, those people who give the world a slightly better flavor and provide we folk with the opportunity to focus on, look at or think about these movers and shakers who play significant roles in informing, influencing and impacting our cultures....

With that said.....our first Icon is an actress who is hands-down my favorite French actress (and there are many fine ones), a gorgeous blonde known as Catherine Deneuve who was born Catherine Fabienne Dorleac.  Born into a family of highly regarded actors (her older sister, Francoise Dorleac, was just coming into her own as a actress when a auto accident took her life in 1967).  Catherine chose her mother's maiden name, Deneuve, as her professional name because, as she was once stated: "I wanted my sister to be the only actress of her generation named Dorleac."  Below, that is a young, pre-blonde Catherine gazing down at her beloved older sister, Francoise, who is reading her lines....


Catherine, left, with Francoise



Compelling, controversial, compassionate and cool and stunningly beautiful....I give you, Ms. Catherine Deneuve.  Films to consider: Belle Du Jour, Indochine, Potiche, Mississippi Mermaid, The Hunger and many others.  Remember, Madame Catherine Dorleac is very French, very European, a very progressive woman, actress, activist, mother, human being.  These things reflect in the films of Catherine Deneuve.  Prepare to be a little shocked, perhaps a little discombobulated.  You won't be able to take your eyes off of her...nor will you want to.  Enjoy!





Francoise, left, with her younger sister Catherine


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love Fellini!