Why "Veni, Vidi, Vici?" I am so glad you asked!

Who wrote it? Julius Caesar
Who was he writing to? The Roman Senate
When did he write it? 46 B.C.
Where did he write it? Zela
What does it mean? "I came, I saw, I conquered."
Why did Caesar say it? He was describing his  swift victory against Pharnaces II of Pontus

                       For your listening pleasure while you read the rest of the blog:
         The U. S. Air Force Band plays "Veni, Vidi, Vici" (1896) by Robert Browne Hall

I have known "Veni" for a long time, having first heard it years ago when I was a kid studying Caesar.  Years later, when I was serving at Coast Guard Aviation Training Center Mobile, I was presented a mission patch from the "Hammerheads" which read "Veni, Vidi, Vici."  The patch now occupies a special place on my old leather flight jacket.



When I decided to become a runner again I purchased a pink Ipod Shuffle and had "Va, Va Vickie Veni, Vidi, Vici" engraved on the back:

Side note: Re "Va, Va Vickie....years ago, before I joined the Coast Guard and dissapeared for over 24 years, I lived in Texas.  Once of my friends, Ginger Griffin, had a very tiny little brother named Kevin who was around the age of 3 and a tiny little sister, Kellie who was...maybe 2, neither of whom could correctly pronounce my name: they said "Bickie."Their mother, Sharon, would lovingly reply "no, no...it's not Ba, Ba, Ba, Bickie...it's Vickie...Va...Va...Va....Vickie."  Sharon's method worked like a champ and both Kevin and Kellie soon pronounced all of those letter "V's" with much eloquence, clarity, perfect elocution and accurate alliteration. 

PS: If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the blogsite, you will see the very first Veni blog; observe the date...24 July 2010. Today is July 22, 2014...almost 4 years to the day that Veni was born.  Interesting....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love Fellini!